If you’ve recently lost your job or suffered a pay cut due to the COVID-19 crisis, you’re not alone.
All is not lost, however. For instance, the widely popular Grab is always looking for new drivers to cope with the increased demand for private hire taxi services. With its flexible work hours and be-your-own-boss system, it’s the perfect opportunity for those with their own cars to get a new source of income.
Do note that in light of the current COVID-19 situation that Grab is now processing their applications on a first-come-first-served basis, and all applicants will be put on a waiting list.
Based on your position in the waiting list, the application processing time varies as follows:
Position 1 – 100 = 5 weeks
Position 101 – 200 = 10 weeks
Thinking of becoming a Grab driver yourself? Read on to find out how!
Step 1. Check minimum requirements
To become a GrabCar driver, you need to fulfil the following basic criteria:
- You are at least 21 years old.
- You have a valid Taxi Driver’s Vocational Licence (TDVL) or Private Hire Car Driver’s Vocational Licence (PDVL).
- You have a minimum of 2 years driving experience
- Your car must have 4 doors and seat at least 4 passengers.
- You are Singaporean or PR.
If you are a PR, you must be hired by a limousine company.
Step 2. Convert your vehicle
All cars used for private-hire purposes must be converted to Z10/Z11 classification. Z10 classification is for normal sedans, while Z11 is for SUVs, MPVs, and other similar vehicles.
Converting your vehicle is a very simple process:
- Go to the ONE.MOTORING website
- Log in using your SingPass ID and Password
- Select: Ownership > Vehicle Scheme / Specifications > Convert My Vehicle Scheme > Conversion type: Passenger to Private Hire (Chauffeur)
- Pay $100 conversion fee
Step 3. Purchase commercial insurance
Commercial insurance is absolutely necessary when using your personal car for private hire purposes. It ensures that the event of an accident while on a Grab trip, both you and your passengers will be protected.
Grab suggests FWD’s commercial car insurance, as it is the only company that offers the online purchase of car insurance to private hire drivers.
Step 4. Activate your account
Once you have the previous steps done and dusted, it’s time to activate your account. Head down to Grab’s office at 28 Sin Ming Lane, #01-143 Midview City, Singapore 573972 to do so. Activation is free, by the way!
Here are the documents you need to bring along:
- Driving Licence
- Proof of commercial insurance
- Vehicle Log Card (Z10 / Z11)
- A copy of your bank book/statement indicating your name and account number
- Taxi and Private Hire Car Driver’s Vocational Licence (TPDVL) / Private Hire Car Driver’s Vocational Licence (PDVL)
Step 5. Complete your training on the Grab Driver App
Download the Grab app which is available on both iOS and Android, complete your training, and you’re done!
And you’re done!
Once you complete all 5 steps, you’re ready to begin your journey as a GrabCar driver.
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to kick start your career and get on Grab.